Yes, you read that right. RAW. LIVER. SMOOTHIE.
Now I know you’ve been probably grimacing at a few recipes that aren’t obviously delicious treats in the way that dark chocolate truffles or lemon meringue pie are. But many people are on a Whole30 right now so it would be highly inappropriate to post such SWYPO foods right now.
Recipes like bone broth and the one that talks about adding egg to your coffee may not be everybody’s cup of tea…er….coffee, but this one is really pushing the boundaries.
In fact, just reading the title of this recipe probably has you shaking your head in disgust saying “too far, Sonja, TOO FAR”, but please bear with me.
I am pretty squeamish – especially now that I’m pregnant. In fact, during the last few weeks even fairly innocuous things like spinach or bacon [GASP] made me gag. So, the fact that I am even able to entertain the idea of this recipe means it is absolutely and entirely doable for all you non-food-aversion-having people out there.
In fact, I would be so bold as to promise you that you will not be able to taste even a HINT of liver in this smoothie. And if you can taste it, stop whatever job it is you are doing and go become one of those rarified super-taster people with a highly trained palate that has to be insured for gazillion dollars, and spend your days reverse engineering patented recipes for a living.
Frozen raw liver really does not taste like much. And frozen raw liver that is added to lots of other tasty ingredients *REALLY* does not taste like anything at all. Trust me.
So, yesterday I told you about how liver is nature’s number one superfood, remember? Well I couldn’t possibly tell you about how wonderful it is for your health without giving you at least one recipe to use it in. Expecting a baby, I know how essential it is to nourish her with the most nutrient-dense foods possible, so I have been desperately trying to find ways to include these superfoods into my diet in a way that my slightly delicate pregnant appetite will allow me. I have been having this every morning for about a week now, and I can honestly say it has given me an energy buzz that surpasses caffeine by a mile – it’s pretty incredible.
I was inspired by this recipe since I’ve been looking for a way to get the most nutrients into me in the easiest way possible in my pretty rushed mornings. It is by far one of the most nutrient-dense smoothies you will ever have and will set you up amazingly for the rest of your day. And pregnant or otherwise, you will be doing yourself a HUGE favor with this powerhouse of goodness!
Oh, and in case you’re wondering, the pink color is from the berries, NOT from the liver!
- 1/4 cup yogurt/kefir/raw milk (sub coconut milk if you're on the Whole30)
- A small handful berries (blackberries and raspberries work well)
- 1/2 a banana (I use frozen berries and banana chunks because I like my smoothie semi-frozen)
- 1 Tbsp frozen liver (either pre-chopped pieces, or just shave off bits with a sharp knife)
- 2 raw egg yolks (pastured eggs from a source you trust)
- 1 tsp lemon/lime juice
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- Pinch of sea salt
- Honey/maple syrup (optional - I do not use any, but some people may prefer a sweeter smoothie)
- 1. Place all the ingredients except egg yolks into a blender and blend until smooth
- 2. Plop egg yolks in and pulse a couple times to incorporate (ideally egg yolks shouldn't be blended too vigorously since they contain delicate proteins)
- 3. Enjoy! And be prepared for a surge of energy and feeling incredibly smug and badass at having accomplished drinking RAW LIVER like a boss!