You know those days where you *really* want a dessert, but it’s a Tuesday and you really cannot justify it as a “treat” day? My go-to for those days is usually a square (or 2) of 90% dark chocolate, but there are some other dessert options that I feel can be justified as more nutritious, rather than just pure indulgences, and this is one of them.
It contains raw milk and cream (which are rich sources of beneficial bacteria, all 22 essential amino acids, 18 good fatty acids, metabolically available vitamins such as vit K2, A and D, immunoglobulins, minerals, antioxidants, and CLA) and grassfed gelatin (which is an amazing source of collagen – great for skin, joints, hair, nails, digestion, not to mention cellulite etc). Please note – the same thing made with commercial, highly pasteurized or low-fat dairy would not be a healthy option. Read more on healthy dairy here.
It is high in healthy fat and low in sugar, so you’ll feel nicely satiated after just a little bit, without any real spike in your blood sugar. It is also the easiest thing to make!
This is great on its own, but would taste amazing with a fruit compote of some sort.
- 1 cup full-fat cream (I use raw, grassfed cream)
- 1 cup full-fat milk (again raw, grassfed milk
- if possible)
- 1 1/4 tsp grassfed gelatin
- 2 Tbsp grade B maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- Note: you can make this dairy free by using 2 cups of coconut milk or almond milk instead of the cream and milk.
- 1. Add the gelatin to 2 Tbsp filtered water and leave it to "bloom" for 5 minutes
- 2. In a saucepan, heat up cream, milk, maple syrup, salt, nutmeg & vanilla until hot but not boiling
- 3. Remove from heat
- 4. Pour 2 Tbsp of the hot milk mixture into the gelatin mixture and stir until it's completely dissolved
- 5. Add dissolved gelatin mixture to the rest of the milk mixture and then pour evenly into 4 small ramekins or mini mason jars
- 6. Once cooled, place in the fridge for at least 4 hours, or overnight
- 7. Enjoy plain, or with a fruit compote