I posted this recipe a while back – super easy raw little bites of deliciousness. Here is another macaroon recipe which is slightly different to that one, in that it is baked. Having said that, it is just as easy and takes under 30 minutes from start to finish. Plus these have the advantage of having more protein (in the form of egg-whites). Now, as you know I would NEVER suggest just eating egg-whites and throwing away the yolk (if anything it’d be the other way round), but this is a good way to use up leftover whites if, like me, you’ve been making the Primal Egg Coffee I posted last week.
These can be made plain, or with dark chocolate chips. If I use chocolate, I always choose a minimum of 85% dark or above (this one is my favorite) to avoid all the crap in regular milk chocolate.
Here’s the recipe!
- 1 cup egg whites*
- 1/2 cup honey (I actually use a fair bit less)
- 3 cups desiccated coconut (unsweetened)
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 100g bar of dark chocolate like this one (optional)
- 1. Preheat the oven to 350F
- 2. Lightly beat the egg whites in a bowl
- 3. Add honey and vanilla and beat till well incorporated
- 4. Add coconut and salt and stir until it is all combined
- 5. If using chocolate, break off 1/3 of the bar, chop into chip-sized pieces and add them at this point and mix till well distributed
- 6. Form the batter into individual bite-sized macaroons, or (if you're lazy like me) spread mixture onto a backing sheet and then cut into squares later
- 7. Bake for between 15-20 minutes until lightly golden
- 8. Melt remaining chocolate in 15 second increments in the microwave (or over a double boiler if you are less lazy), and drizzle over squares
- 9. Allow to cool in the fridge and enjoy!
- *You can use whole eggs too - instead of a cup of egg-whites use 3 whole eggs