I so often hear people say “but I don’t have time to make a nutritious breakfast every morning!” as an excuse for diving head-first into a bowl of cereal each day. Sadly, in terms of nutrition, cereal is (at best) extremely lacking in bio-available nutrients and, more often than not, a carbohydrate-heavy, insulin-spiking, gut-irritating stomach filler that leaves you needing a snack after just a couple hours when your blood sugar crashes.
I have had my fair share of rushed mornings where I did not have time to leisurely prepare a nourishing meal, so I found an option that is super easy and quick to prepare once a week, and which will give you a quick grab-and-go breakfast that is full of nutrients and will keep you satiated for hours without the need for snacking in between meals.
A couple of great posts on grains, sugar & carbohydrates:
Quaker Oats for Breakfast, Diabetes for Lunch? – Diane Sanfilippo, Balanced Bites
When it comes to diet, what’s common isn’t normal. – Chris Kresser, The Healthy Skeptic
And here’s the recipe:
- 8 eggs
- 1 cup kale
- 1 medium zucchini
- 1 spring onion/scallion
- 12 slices of bacon (or prosciutto)
- Shrimp (optional)
- salt, pepper, herbs to flavour (I like to use basil, oregano and garlic)
- Coconut oil or butter to grease pan
- 1. Preheat oven to 350F and grease muffin pan with coconut oil/butter
- 2. Beat eggs in a bowl and add spices/herbs
- 3. Either chop finely or food-process raw vegetables
- 4. Line each muffin cup with a slice of bacon or prosciutto (doesn't have to be exact)
- 5. Place spoonfuls of the veggies in each cup (dividing the whole amount evenly)
- 6. Carefully pour the egg mixture over each cup
- 7. Place a shrimp into each if you're including shrimp (submerging it slightly)
- 8. Place in oven for 18-22 minutes (until firm to the touch)
- You can substitute the vegetables here with whatever vegetables you prefer. Also you do not have to use bacon - these work well without it as well. I just think it makes pretty much everything taste better 🙂 Play around with ingredients - it's easy to vary these using many different flavors.