Sometimes a dessert I make turns out so unexpectedly delicious that there is no other way to introduce it than with THIS playing in the background. Seriously, play that in the background whilst you read the rest of this.
I believe the world is just a better place when you have something chocolatey to
shove down your throat delicately nibble on sometimes. I know not everyone is a chocolate person – my sisters, for example, could take it or leave it. My mama and I, on the other hand, feel it makes the world a better place, and so it’s one treat (in addition to ice-cream) I do indulge in on occasion. My chocolate of choice? The ultra dark, pretty clean ingrediented (is that even a word) Lindt 90% Dark Chocolate.
6 squares just a square of that is enough to satisfy my chocolate craving. But some days a more decadent dessert is in order. This is where this unbelievably rich chocolate pie comes in.
It’s made with clean ingredients, and is completely grain and refined-sugar-free, but I would not classify it as a health-food, or one which will help your waistline. It is an occasional TREAT, so enjoy it responsibly!
- 3/4 cup coconut flour
- 1/2 cup unsweetened coconut flakes
- 3 large eggs
- 1/4 cup virgin coconut oil
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2/3 cups chopped up baking chocolate (I use Lindt 90% Dark Chocolate)
- 6 Tbsp honey
- 1/2 cup butter (I use Kerrygold Pure Irish Butter)
- 1 pinch Sea Salt
- 1 Tbsp Cocoa Powder (or cacao powder like this)
- 3 large pastured eggs
- 2/3 cup full fat coconut milk (I use Aroy-D Coconut Milk )
- 1 tsp gluten-free vanilla extract
- freeze-dried crushed strawberries to sprinkle on top (optional)
- 1. Preheat oven to 350 F
- 2. Mix together the crust ingredients in a bowl/food processor. When it forms a doughy consistency, press into a pie pan.
- 3. Bake the crust for about 10 minutes and then take out and set aside.
- 4. In a double boiler, melt the chocolate, honey and butter whilst stirring constantly.
- 5. Add in the salt, cocoa powder, eggs, coconut milk, and vanilla extract
- 6. Keep whisking until it’s a smooth mixture
- 7. Pour into the crust and very carefully place it in the oven
- 8. Bake for 35 minutes (till set)
- 9. Let it cool, decorate it with some freeze-dried strawberries (optional), and serve. It is PERFECT with a dollop of vanilla ice-cream!
- 10. Eat