The other day I was craving tuna-salad so I thought I’d whip up a quick batch of mayonnaise from a recipe I saw, which promised to be “quick and easy”. I’d posted this one on our blog, which turned out fine, but it was a little tricky to make, so “quick and easy” sounded good.
45 minutes later Sham saw me storming out of the kitchen with egg on my face, splatters of oily mess all over my clothes and the same look I give him when my Double Unders just don’t happen.
It was neither quick NOR easy and after 45 minutes all I had was a partially mixed scrambled mess which wouldn’t pass for anything edible, nevermind mayo. AND I’d wasted about 2 bottles of expensive avocado oil.
So I did what I always do under those circumstances. I Googled “Fail-safe homemade mayo recipe” and found a recipe that looked WAY too easy to be true.
But guess what? It worked!! I changed up the ingredients to make my own version, and in about 5 minutes flat I made the most perfect mayonnaise I’ve ever had right from scratch!
So here it is:
- 1 whole fresh large egg
- 2-3 tsp fresh lemon juice or vinegar of your choice
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- 1/4 tsp sea salt or Himalayan salt
- 1 cup avocado oil (or macadamia nut oil)
- Stick blender
- Glass jar that is just slightly wider than your stick blender
- 1. Place egg into the jar and add all the other ingredients
- 2. Allow it to settle for a minute so the oil is floating on top of the egg
- 3. Place stick blender right down to the bottom of the jar and turn on
- 4. Blend in place until you see mayonnaise forming at the bottom. Then gently raise the blender on each side to incorporate all the oil. Blend until fully incorporated and it looks like mayonnaise
- 5. Store in the fridge in the same jar
- 6. That’s it - you’re done!