We tend not to eat a lot of sweets (except as a treat once or twice a week), but sometimes I crave a little bite of something after dinner that won’t trigger a blood sugar rush, but will complete a meal and be nutritious at the same time. These are the perfect answer. They’re full of super healthy fat and protein and will nicely hit the spot – leaving you pleasantly satiated in a way other desserts do not. They are also SO quick and easy to whip up – even the least cooking-inclined person would struggle to mess them up!
Use the cleanest protein powder possible for these – ideally pure whey protein isolate or egg white protein. Do not use soy protein of any kind. I happened to have some of this on hand, which is lightly sweetened, but still made with super clean ingredients. Since it is already slightly sweet you can omit the honey if using this.
Enjoy as an after-dinner lightly sweetened treat, or as a mid-afternoon bite to tide you over between meals.
- 7 oz or about 1/2 cup) coconut butter/creamed coconut (like this one)
- 2 Tbsp almond butter
- 2 Tbsp of raw honey
- 2 Tbsp of raw cacao powder)
- 1 Tbsp of shredded coconut
- 3/4 cup of unsweetened whey protein powder
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 2 Tbsp crushed macadamia nuts
- 1 Tbsp coconut oil
- 1. Soften the creamed coconut by placing the package (or jar if you're using coconut butter) in hot water
- 2. Add all ingredients to a food processor and mix together thoroughly to achieve a mixture that holds together and can be rolled into balls. You can always adjust quantities at this point to achieve a stronger flavor of, say, chocolate or to make them sweeter/less sweet
- 2. Roll into balls (roughly 1 inch in diameter) and lightly dip each ball in coconut flakes (or cocoa powder) before setting on a tray
- 3. Place in the fridge to cool and harden before placing in a storage box
- 4. Enjoy these as a sweet little bite after a meal