As you should know by now, liver is pretty much THE most nutritious food on the planet, and the one food everyone should be trying to eat every week, in addition to bone broth, sardines, egg yolks etc – more on that in an upcoming post.
But, as you also probably know, liver has a slightly, how to put it, challenging flavor to get used to. I have struggled with it, but I continue to take on the challenge and I make sure I have it in my diet at least once a week in one form or another. My favorites are as a raw liver smoothie (try it, I dare you), in liverwurst form (my 1 year old daughter’s favorite), or snuck into ground meat recipes.
Then I discovered this recipe on one of my favorite blogs, and I HAD to try it. Anything with bacon tastes better, so if you’re not usually into liver patés, please be open-minded – the bacon adds a delicious flavor.
This is a super rich, super-nutritious snack. You only need a little bit to pack in those nutrients and set yourself up for the rest of the day. Enjoy it with plantain chips, veggie crudités or by the teaspoon full!
- 1/2 lb organic bacon
- 1 lb liver (I used organic chick livers)
- 1/3 cup bacon grease (butter works if you don’t have enough from the bacon)
- 1/4 medium onion - finely diced
- 5 cloves of garlic
- 2 tsp dried rosemary
- 2 tsp dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1. If possible, soak the livers in lemon juice overnight before making this recipe. It takes some of the “livery taste” out of the liver
- 2. Prepare bacon in whatever way you prefer. I place it on a baking try under the broiler for 10-15 minutes until crispy, and then pour of the grease through a sieve into a small heat-proof container. Allow to cool.
- 2. While the bacon is cooking, sauté the onions in a pan until soft. Add the livers, garlic and spices and cook until the livers are no longer pink in the center.
- 3. Add the liver mixture, bacon and bacon grease (or melted butter) to a food processor and process until smooth.
- 4. Enjoy warm or store it in the fridge for snacks throughout the week.